Friday, October 31, 2008

Phinally!!!

My Phillies Phinally did it! Philly Phinally has a champion in my conscious lifetime!!!

Today is the parade. I actually can say that word now, parade. In a change from the norm, I'll be blogging all day events as they happen from my iPhone. Enjoy!

7:45 AM:
The alarm clock/telephone goes off. I suddenly feel like I could seriously use an alcohol-free, sleep embellishing day. Snooze x 3...

8:23 AM:
The adjuster from my car insurance calls, but I'm in the shower. He probably wants to setup a time to come look at the damage to my car from the night the Phillies won the Championship. I call him back 3 minutes later, leave a message.

8:46 AM:
The adjuster calls back. We set up a time for Monday.

8:54 AM:
I'm out. Heading to my best friend Julie's house to start drinking. Yeah!!!

9:20 AM:
Pulling into WaWa to get a quick bite and a drink. My friend, and former co-worker Tony calls. Wants to meet up at the Link. Shit!!! I forgot the tickets!! :-(

9:22 AM:
Heading back home...

9:34 AM:
Back home. Tickets retrieved. Back on the way to Julie's.

10:03 AM:
Arrived at Julies. Filled up the flask with Tequila. Heading out.

10:43 AM:
At the beer drive-thru. There are like 6 beer choices in can. We settled on Pabst Blue Ribbon. Are you serious??!! Well it is a 2006 gold medal winner...god I need to get drunk. YEAH PHILLIES!!!

11:11 AM:
Finally found parking near the art museum. Now the long walk begins...

11:17 AM:
Stopped for a Julie bathroom break...

11:20 AM:
Heading towards JFK Blvd again. We might make it for the start of the parade and the end at the stadiums!

11:35 AM:
The over under on us running out of beer is 2:15 PM. I think I'm going to go with the under LOL. We're at 20th and JFK. Crowds are getting crazy!!! Frank just called me. It's nuts!!!

12:48 PM:
We've been underground on the subway for the last hour and there's tons to share:
1. The crowd in center city was nuts. Cops blocked off a roof where fans had climbed up. It was crazy.
2. There was a cop, as we headed to the subway, that said, "look for the guy in the Phillies tee-shirt" on his radio. Are you kidding me? Good luck finding him.
3. Of all the people to run into, julie runs into probably the one person she would most not want to see and I run into someone I know. 2 million people. How does that happen?
4. We jumped the Septa line to get on the train because it was just way too long and confused.
5. That train was unbelievably hot. OMG. Dressing in layers, not good for Septa subways.
6. Everyone wanted a picture with my sign. I became the resident subway photagrapher LOL.
7. Blowing a horn on a train is so fucking annoying. Seriously, quit with the fucking horn already!!!
8. A kid picked a booger and then gave me a high five. Strangely enough, I was ok with it.

I can't believe we're getting a parade!

1:39 PM:
We just spent the last 1/2 hour having people take pictures with my sign. We're finally in the link. The crowd is MASSIVE!! Those sausages smell do good!

1:53 PM: So we just snuck into the club level. This is amazing! We get lost finding our seat and wind up in the club level LOL. We're waiting for a sausage because we are sssoooo hungry. We gave away 4 beers before we went in because we thought they would check our bags. But they didn't even check our COOLER BAG. UGH...We digress. THANK YOU PHILLIES!!!!

2:41 PM:
Tough getting a data signal. We're waiting for the Phillies to get here. Last update, they were at Pattison Ave. We are front row of the club section we snuck into LOL. It's a sea of red. I keep using this word, but it's so true. Amazing.

3:54 PM:
Man it's tough getting a signal. Finally got a good one. I have so many pics to share. We heard Charlie, Moyer and Victorino speak. The crowd at the link was great. Again, the sign was hott. We were stuck about 10 minutes with people taking pics. I love my city!!!

4:24 PM:
So, with people waiting over 2 hours to get in Chickies N Pete's, I got us in right away because Julie had to drop a duece. After we got in, Julie found us a great spot (FRONT ROW TO THE JUMBO SCREEN) and we watched the celebration at the Bank from there. We might head to the Sixers game because ANYTHING Phillies gets you in for $10. I'll keep posting as long as I can. Battery at less than 10%...

4:53 PM:
I can't believe, of all people, Chase said the words, "World Fucking Champions". This is everything that Philly wanted, needed, begged for, and more. Phinally, we got one. How good does this feel?...

6:51 PM:
So, I just left a cab and got into my car. I tried to put what I saw today into words. This city swallowed the joy and pride and celebrated a city, A CITY, winning a championship! This day has been a day that I will never, ever forget. I've gotta work tomorrow at 6 so I'll probably be going straight to bed. But for anyone who couldn't make it, hopefully I have given you enough to feel this day and what we have experienced. I love this city. I love sports in this city. And I love that I was able to experience not only being there live for the World Series winning strike out, but experiencing this today.

Pictures to come...

2 comments:

Oriole4Philly said...

Congrats man!!! The phils gelled at the right time. Is it cold or do you have beer warmth? You do realize your sign is going to be on the commemorative DVD!!!

e

Oriole4Philly said...

where's my pictures!!!