Thursday, September 4, 2008

Begin each day as if it were on purpose

What seems like a long time ago I sat in a movie theater and watched "Hitch", a movie staring Will Smith portraying a consultant who's job was to "help men get out of their own way". While I don't claim to have all the answers, there are times I feel like I get in my own way; especially considering recent changes in my life. But my mistakes are lessons I learn (and hopefully improve on) and try to use as I continue to grow and become the man I am destined to be. I try to be the same person to everyone and try to live in a way that honors the lessons and guidance my grandmother instilled in me; but I am not perfect.

Each day I find myself fortunate enough to rise (assuming I haven't pulled one of my insanely infamous all-nighters LOL) I try to be a good man and a good friend. These thoughts are prompted by the losses some of my friends have endured as recently as this week and by the connection I have lost with my best friend this year. My friends have lost a father, a grandfather, an aunt, a cousin and a few close friends this year. It reminds me that although you face difficulties and tough times with those you love, never let that bond be torn apart. Sometimes you need to just let things go, or sit and talk things out, to begin the healing process. But many times, a duration of time apart, or separation, reminds you that some bonds never lose their strength; and it makes communication easier.

That's what is important to me; those who I call my friends. I would lay down on train tracks for my friends. I cherish those I let in and I want to be there for them the best way I know how. The bond of friendship, and more importantly the connection with best friends, means more to me than any thing else. Life is too short to not figure out what's wrong and if it's worth the effort to save that bond and/or that connection. Even if in the end, the answer is no, never walk away without putting it all on the table. Leave nothing unsaid and no feeling unrevealed. Sometimes, what's kept inside is more important than what's said.

No comments: